Friday 15 June 2018

Battlegroup Desert Objectives

Some objectives I've made for Battlegroup, which will also work as Jump-off-points for Chain of Command in 15mm. Since I had the German stowage bits out, these were all quite German-themed: I've made five for NW Europe and five for the desert, though I still have to paint the NW European ones. In time, I'll also do others themed as British, US or Soviets objectives/JoPs.

BG does not need scenic objectives as the objective is really just a point on the table, or more often a piece of terrain. "Take the bridge" is quite obvious, but sometimes you need a marker in an open field and these suit the purpose. This is especially true in the desert.


My objective are on 25mm washers (i.e. 1 inch): the idea was to build up a core with filler pieces (boxes and crates, a tarp over filler, etc.) and then add details for interest. They became "themed" as one became a repair point, another gained several hand-held AT weapons, etc.

The simple tarps are just tissue paper soaked in watered-down PVA glue (as you'd use for applying static grass or flock), placed over filler, which is just several bit of scrap plastic sprue cut to size and glued to the washer.


I base coated the predominant colour on each pieces by airbrush (because I had it out so why not?), then did the rest of the painting and details by brush. Some smaller bits of scrub were added for interest and colour (Woodland Scenics Olive Green Bushes). Since I model my DAK forces on 15. Panzer Division, I've themed a couple with 15. Pz divisional signs, one ostensibly being a vehicle repair point, the other with a sign perhaps pointing to a staging area? It adds some interest and colour.

Panzer III for scale.




The bare pole is waiting some desert signs, but apart from that the desert objectives are done.

CdlT

12 comments:

  1. Hi rex


    Beautiful work as always!

    Where did you get the rifles from?

    I got the mgs - but haven’t seen any rifles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacob: the rifles are from PSC half-track sprues. They also include one rifle per sprue on the PSC German Stowage set (which is a really useful set although far too much space was wasted on tank commanders). Its not quite accurate for the Kar 98K, but close enough for 15mm.

      CdlT

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I’ll look for it.

      Which miniatures is waiting for your brush work down the line?

      Delete
    3. Well, I'll soon be hosting a local campaign centered around Operation Battleaxe in 1941, using the Battlegroup rules, so expect more early desert stuff. DAK vehicles, a few more tanks, some 8-Rads, half-track tows, etc. I'll also be painting some British stuff: Matildas, Vickers light tanks and Crusader Is, etc...first time for me doing the dreaded Caunter Scheme. We'll see how it goes.

      CdlT

      Delete
  2. Well - Looking forward to it. the caunter Scheme looks difficultly as hell - and well not that much of a camouflage in the desert.. or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult: the idea as I understand it was not to "hide" (nearly impossible in the open desert), but to provide counter-shading, the scheme being a disruptive pattern. How effective it actually was I simply don't know, but it is unique, is ubiquitous on early British desert vehicles and looks pretty cool, so that's reason enough for me.

      CdlT

      Delete
  3. You have done these so well, your attention to detail and the finish is superb.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...