The tree-line: the old classic few-trees-on-a-base-that-magically-blocks-line-of-sight terrain piece, so beloved of FOW gamers and Stormtrooper-abusers everywhere. I hated them; they made little logical sense though they were useful as LOS blocks. Nonetheless, I've wanted to re-do mine for ages, so the old ones were set for a makeover.
Pretty bland, if functional. I had not used them in ages since in Battlegroup or Chain of Command they don't really work as much more than decoration, in which case singly-based trees would be preferred. Time to re-base: mine are Woodland Scenics Pine tree armatures with clump-foliage attached. Not the best, about eight years old and used in many games, but I thought they could be re-used for something functional.
|On 3mm MDF bases originally, I soaked them in water to soften the sand & PVA basing.|
|After about an hour, I took them out and broke the MDF into one-tree pieces, |
using a pair of side-cutters to help "tear" at the MDF.
|I broke away the MDF until close to the tree base, then cut the rest away with a craft knife. |
Please try not to cut an artery if doing this or you might bleed out and die. Apparently.
|With a bit of work the trees were freed and ready for re-basing.|
|Rather than basing singly I now formed a new plan after looking at some pictures of Normandy hedges. New bases, a few rocks and stumps were added for interest. The trees are "glued" with caulk (acrylic silicon).|
|Next I covered the bases with wood glue, then sand. When dry, it was painted dark brown, |
then dry-brushed a lighter colour and a very light dry-brush with a sand colour.
|Next I glued on flock: Woodland Scenics, a 3:1 blend of Green and Earth blend.|
|The flock was really just to provide a base for the static grass. |
I also painted the rocks and the tree stumps at some point.
|I painted diluted wood glue onto the flock areas (when dry), and applied |
some 2mm static grass using the WWS Pro Grass Micro applicator.
|The grass looks very green in the pictures but is much better in real life.|
|On to the 2mm grass I placed a few patches of diluted wood glue, then applied |
some 4mm static grass, again with the applicator (of course!)
|With some decent grass added, I was ready to move on to the next part. |
15mm Sherman for scale.
|Woodland Scenics foliage clusters, Medium and Dark green, were glued onto the bases to start the hedges.|
|I then added more clump foliage to thicken the hedges, and glued a few smaller pieces to make the growth seem "rougher" and less pristine. A 15mm Sherman gives some idea of the height, i.e. fairly tall, certainly above man-height for 15mm.|
|Once the pieces were done and bulked-up suitably, the entire lot was sprayed with matt varnish (spray can) |
to help protect it and because I can't be bothered to do the whole "spray with diluted PVA" thing.
|The completed pieces have the foliage built right to the edges, thus the sections can|
be joined together to create a longer piece...
|...or to build in different ways without the need for corners, T-pieces, etc.|
|The first lot done: I plan to do more in the future as the above |
looks considerably more attractive than anything I had before.