Tuesday 7 October 2014

Level Up

So, you're browsing various gaming and painting blogs online. The odd AAR, someone's shiny new project they will probably never complete ...and you sympathise, looking over to your pile of uncompleted "stuff" that seems to grow by itself. There are even a few really good painting posts, the type which make you think "that doesn't look so hard, I need to try that" or even "I can do better".

Many hours later and after much blood, toil, tears and spilled paint, you are finally done. It is the *best* thing you have ever painted. Definitely. Must be. OK, so maybe the guy with the moustache needs a few extra highlights, you fudged his left eye a bit and (as you will soon be informed after posting pictures online) the *correct* wafferfarbe colour for the 874th Herman-Goering-Panzer-Sturm-Pioneer Abteilung was, in fact, "Parakeet Green" (with the correct German term and RAL number helpfully supplied)...but apart from all that, it's perfect.

And yet, someone has already posted something better. Damnit, how do they do it? You closely scrutinise every picture, committing to memory the shade and placement of every shadow, every highlight.

Sod it. Back to work you go, trying this, trying that. Buying several of these new-fangled (and usually made by a talented Spaniard) magical-modelling-voodo-in-a-bottle-mixtures that are sure to help. Help create something else, something new, your defining work: a masterpiece surely?


The point? Lots of ramblings mostly.

A lot of guys trying to improve their painting think this is some sort of competition...yeah, not so much, unless you want to make it one. You see the emails I get with the usual ''I wish I could paint like you', etc., etc....well, you can. Honest. Just try sometime, that's the important bit. The rest, as they say, is just practice. There is zero 'talent' or any other such nonsense, at least on my part. What I do is technique, not art: art is to create something from nothing. See various blogs and sites like CMON for proper painters, real artists. I just apply techniques. You can learn to do the same with similar results. Really.

Part of the learning is actually messing things up, making mistakes and learning from them. Duh. Just keep on keeping on, you'll get somewhere you are satisfied with eventually: that's the important bit. So below, a couple of my brother's 8-Rads:






Not bad? Mostly his work, colour choice, but he got bored so I finished them off: a bit of weathering, the crewman and tools, etc. These were his first airbrushed vehicles. The whole "panel highlighting" thing did not come out too well, but then I was probably pushing it trying to teach that in the first lesson. So, if you know someone who can already paint somewhat, ask them teach you a bit if you can, as shaving some time off the learning curve is always worthwhile.

To add to that: not everyone enjoys painting. I do, but he generally does not though he has his moments. That's fine. Some people seem to think there's some sort of "pressure" to paint well, that you must and must enjoy it. There really isn't. So, a pair of 8-Rads done, another unit completed: he learnt quite a bit, I learnt a bit about teaching someone where I assume certain things that are common sense...aren't. The models look good, better than 95% of stuff you'll see here locally, that's enough.

At the end of the day, whatever you do and no matter how well you do it, this is still just painting toy soldiers, isn't it?


CdlT

18 comments:

  1. I believe it an odd, but existing correlation that if one tries very hard to paint just to complete something or compete with their own or any others' paint jobs, it will turn out for the worse. It's in the mentality - you need to be relaxed and focused to do your best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and good point. Painting under pressure (real or imagined) often has in less-than-ideal results, it becomes a chore rather than something one wants to do.

      CdlT

      Delete
  2. Love this post and Totally agree with Everything !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I'd just be happy with finishing projects so I can get more variety to my gaming, but usually time to finish things to something I'm happy with and butterfly habits conspire against me.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes: it's the curse of the "ooh, shiny!" syndrome. I think we are all infected when we touch our first figure!

      CdlT

      Delete
  4. Totally, totally agree with this post. This was something I was thinking of posting and you beat me to it!!(LOL). More recently I've decided to use my blog as a record of completed work to see how much progress I make on projects and who long it takes me. I believe I'm always improving, but exactly as you say there is always some one better or a new technique to learn. So what is important; I'm happy with my work and I'm enjoying the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. And that's not a bad idea, it might get me posting more in any case.

      CdlT

      Delete
  5. I only try to get stuff painted mostly. I have improved my own style and methods for my own liking. If other people like it then that's great.
    The main thing is to keep on painting and by continuing to do so I think I have improved.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree 100% with this CdlT, and hopefully the people who aren't painting their silver surfers while waiting for their talents to happen, would get on with it. :) I am well aware that I could paint a lot better than I usually do, it's just that the very limited time to be used for painting/gaming tends to go to the latter. Cheers, Mikko

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post, I paint because I enjoy it . I have always been a history buff and its a way of expressing that I suppose . I agree with technique thing I always try to improve sometimes it works sometimes not . But no one should beat themselves up over their standard of painting . Enjoy it its a hobby it's supposed to put a smile on your face !
    Regards Furphy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post buddy, love your thoughts.

    Funnily enough your work (especially your infantry) is what I often find myself comparing against. You have an incredibly neat/clean style that I admire but try as I might I can't emulate.

    I think I've learned to be content-ish with my own style although I constantly strive to be better.

    I do disagree with your "no talent" statement, as I think your talent is "sub-conscious", so you don't even realise you're doing it. Where as your technique is something you've practiced and spent time grinding through.

    Either way, your Hungarian infantry painting tutorial is an absolute classic and one of the first posts I read that made me want to be a better painter. So whilst it's infuriating that I can't do what you do, it also provided the inspiration for me to try...double edged sword me-thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment Dave, and some kind words. Thanks for sharing.

      CdlT

      Delete
  9. LOve the post and love the blog. You made me start my own so I could keep track of the army men I build and keep motivated to paint more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand the entry. What was the trigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramblings mostly, remember.

      It has to do with a few discussions I've had recently (in person and by email) regarding the perception that there was a "pressure" to paint to a certain standard. The whole how-do-I-get-better thing has it limits, we all do, so the point is not that one has to paint like the best, but rather to a standard one is satisfied with.

      I know a couple of guys personally who don't want to paint anything as they think it's not "good enough", and that is the opposite of what I'd like to see. There are ways of improving, and just because yours is not the "bestest thing evar" does not mean it is not worth doing.

      CdlT

      Delete
  11. Amigo...

    Just stumbled on this post. I understand your view, but if I may I would like to provide a counter view that was hinted in a post above:

    People who are truly skilled or gifted simply do not see their talent. You have a gift. I really don't care what you say, you are gifted. I could go outside and practice my soccer dribbling skills until I bleed and I will not be the next Pele (sorry, have to go to my era).

    I could paint and paint and paint, but that does not mean I would even come close tot the quality and sheer brilliance that you can do with a brush. Now that does not mean that I suck or I can't paint. It simply means that I cannot replicate what you do.

    Now I totally agree that I should not try to replicate what you do. Everyone needs to find their own style and be self-satisfied with their results. And yes, I continue to strive to improve. But there are some people in this hobby that just have "it" - you are one. And so are all the darn Spaniards!

    Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...